Are you planning to undergo surgical hair restoration to wear a head full of lush hair? You must be wondering how much hair density you need? And how much grafts are needed to achieve your desired hair density? Well these are two tricky questions that don’t have a simple one-liner answer. Don’t worry, at Dubai Hair Club, being one of the most reputed hair transplant center in Dubai we have solutions for all your concerns.
There is no set formula to calculate how many grafts you need for ample coverage of your balding thatch. The number of grafts and the hair density needed varies significantly from person to person. Nevertheless, surgeons have devised various scales to measure the extent of hair loss and based on that they calculate desired number of grafts for best coverage of bald patches. If you are not sure then visit us at Dubai Hair Club and get expert advice to get the best hair transplant in Dubai. One of the most commonly used scales for measuring hair loss extent is Norwood scale. However, it is worth mentioning that a Norwood scale should not be confused with a graft calculator.
Norwood Classification has been explained below:
- Norwood Scale 1 – Minimal hair loss in the frontal region
- Norwood Scale 2 – Trivial hair loss at the temples
- Norwood Scale 3 – Receding hairline begins to become notable
- Norwood Scale 3 vertex – Hairline recession exceeds backward towards the vertex
- Norwood Scale 4 – Hairline recession become significant as well coupled with notable hair thinning on the vertex
- Norwood Scale 5 – Both hairline and the vertex have notable bald patches, but the two are separated with a thin bridge of hair
- Norwood Scale 6 – The bridge separating hairline recession and vertex thinning begins to fade out
- Norwood Scale 7 – The most severe hair loss pattern with almost no hair on the front as well as in the crown area
How many hair grafts are needed for coverage?
The following chart explains how much hair density you will need in a hair transplantation surgery based on each level of Norwood classification:
The aforementioned number of grafts for each Norwood class is just a rough estimation and should not be taken as a final verdict. There are several other factors as well that play a key role in determining the required number of grafts, such as:
- Individual’s age
- Hair loss type
- Scalp laxity
- Hair transplant technique used
- Donor hair supply
- Donor hair health
It is your surgeon’s job to determine the exact number of grafts need to achieve your desired hair density. The surgeon will consider all of the aforementioned factors before making a final call on number of follicles needed for producing a natural looking, aesthetically appealing hairline. To discuss your hair loss and our treatment options book a Free Consultation with Dubai Hair Club today.